Gatwick airport surrounded by its green and pleasant land. Getting though security in London was, in complete contrast to Marrakech (even after Brexit), an absolute doddle, and took just moments. Another reason to dread going back to Morocco.
After a quick pork pie we headed to Gatwick train station and picked up our rail tickets. Leb had a few hours to wait (to be spent supping endless teas in Wetherspoons) but I had a train to catch pretty much straight away as I had a long journey north. Leb was going back to Stroud.
After a big goodbye kiss (we'll be 12 days apart) I was off to Victoria and then across London on the tube to King's Cross to catch the 5:30 to Edinburgh, stopping at Darlington.
Another pork pie before getting on the train and four tins of Doom Bar would keep me going. I have to admit I was a bit embarrassed supping my ale next to a young dude who appeared to be studying for a law exam, presumably at York, where he got off. One raised eyebrow and I had my retort ready... I'm old.. and I don't care, young man!
Darlington station is magnificent and my next stay was just a few hundred metres away. The Dalesman is part hotel and part busy pub. It is also just across the road from a chippy. My joy at discovering this didn't last long though... not the best, shall we say.
Still. All very good. I'm so pleased to be back in good Old England again. It was great to watch a bit of football in the public bar downstairs too. I had a chat with a lovely old Darlington fan. He was impressed with my heroic tale of reaching the 92 up here in 2000. I watched Hartlepool v Exeter in a 12:30 kick off, drove here to Feethams to watch Darlington v Sheffield United for a 3pm start and then, the next day, up to Sunderland v Wimbledon at their, then, brand new Stadium of Light for a Sunday game to complete the much sought after full set of league grounds visited. Of course both Darlo and Hartlepool are outside the league these days. It's for reasons like this that my 92 has gone down to below 70 today. Tonight Leeds deserved their 2-0 win in their top of the table clash against local rivals Sheffield United and it was good to see that Chesterfield won away at Newport too. I'm hoping to see them for the first time at their new ground next Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment